Monday, January 30, 2012

Crunchy Montecristo Sandwich

My Ichiro is fond of bread and sandwiches. He prefers it more than rice. He's used to it because he grew up with my parents who loves pandesal every morning. Being a very busy mom, I used to buy biscuits and bread in bulk so whenever I come home late from work I am assured that he won't be hungry and he has everything he needs anytime. So when he approached me with my cookbook in his hand, I know what he wanted already. So there, sandwich making time for Mama Eila.

The original recipe came from Nestle Daily Delights menu planner. I just did my own version by skipping some of the ingredients. This is very much the same from my Kariman sandwiches. The only difference is that this has more fillings. I'll be posting the original recipe but of course you can modify it according to your taste and budget or what's available in your fridge.

Ingredients:
1/2  cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp mustard
Sliced American bread
Roasted or fried chicken strips
cooked ham or bacon slices
cheese slices

special coleslaw: combine-
1/2 head cabage finely shredded
1 small carrot, cut into fine strips
1/3 cup pineaple tidbits drained
1/2 cup caesar salad dressing salt and pepper

combine-
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup Nestle fresh milk
1 8g maggi magic sarap

2 cups crushed Nestle cornflakes

Procedure:
1. Spread mayonnaise and mustard on a bread slice
2. Layer the chicken, ham, cheese, and coleslaw on the prepared bread slice. Top with another bread slice.
3. Cut sandwiches diagonally to form triangles. Secure with toothpicks. Set aside.
4. Dip prepared sandwiches in egg milk mixture then coat with crushed Nestle cornflakes. Fry on heated oil until golden or bake in a 375F oven until brown and crisp.
5. Transfer on paper towels to drain excess oil. serve with your favorite drink for a filing snack.

Good to know Trivia from Nestle:
A bowl of Nestle cornflakes with milk contains 11 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium and iron.

I made two batches. One batch was cooked in the oven while the other batch was fried. I like the latter better because the sandwich was softer and cooked well while the one from the oven was crunchier, thus it's name.:)

It's a very heavy sandwich you can skip a meal for this if you're on a diet just watch over that mayo, ok?


What have you tried lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment